[pulseaudio-discuss] Using 5.1 outputs seperately

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 29 04:00:51 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Emre Erenoglu at 29/12/09 11:19 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I have small speakers embedded into my LCD and a more powerful home
> stereo system.
>
> The standard intel codec onboard has stereo jacks which are front left
> (FL), front right (FR), rear left (RL), rear right (RR), center and
> subwoofer.
>
> I would like to use FL/FR and RL/RR seperately, ie, connect:
>
> FL/FR --> LCD small speakers
> RL/RR --> Home Stereo
>
> and be able to route sound from one jack to the other with Pulseaudio,
> or assign Firefox to FL/FR and Juk or Amarok to RL/RR.
>
> Would the previously mentioned profiles let me do that?  (I used to make
> a asound.conf and map the PA sinks to those virtual outputs but that
> might be a bit complicated). If yes, could you point me to some
> documentation?

No you don't want to use profiles for this.

Use module-remap-sink to create a virtual 2 channel sink that maps it's
front-left and front-right channels to the chosen channels on your real
hardware. Remember to add the remix="no" argument when loading it too.

Something like (from memory so double check on the module docs wiki page
incase I've mis-remembered something):

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name="LCD" channels=2
master="name_of_real_sink" master_channel_map="front-left,front-right"
channel_map="front-left,front-right" remix="no"

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name="StereoSystem" channels=2
master="name_of_real_sink" master_channel_map="rear-left,rear-right"
channel_map="front-left,front-right" remix="no"

You will then have three sinks in total:
 Your 5.1 system
 Your LCD
 Your StereoSystem

and can move the streams around as desired.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]