[pulseaudio-discuss] Switching resample_method on the fly?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 30 02:56:38 PST 2009

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and Bearcat M. Şandor at 30/12/09 10:07 did gyre and gimble:
> Right now i'm changing the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, ps aux to find the
> current pid and killing both pulseaudo and the gnome volume control each
> time. This is a pain.

pulseaudio -k; start-pulseaudio-x11

This should be enough to restart PA in your X11 session. Should be no
need to kill gnome-volume-control AFAIK.

> I've looked around for how to set up such profiles for a few days but i
> haven't found a way to do this.

There is no way to do this right now. I don't know that bit of the code
to be honest so don't know how much work would be needed here. If you do
implement something I'd certainly limit it to the roles rather than
making it more flexible as too much configuration can be a bad thing!

I'm really not sure how much re-engineering ti would take to make this
work, but it will certainly require some core changes. If the majority
of the work could be kept within a module then this would certainly help
keep the core as clean and tidy as possible for the majority of users.

> I'd rather not get into a discussion about *why* i want to upsample to
> 192k as such arguments among audiophiles are akin to emacs vs vi and kde
> vs gnome.

:D As someone who uses both vi and emacs and both kde and gnome, I'm
quite open to people wanting to do rather outlandish things!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]