[pulseaudio-discuss] how to make nted work with pulseaudio

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Thu Dec 31 11:03:44 PST 2009

Rustom Mody wrote:
> Well one correction (mine and the wikis :-)
> The wiki talks of changing /etc/default/timidity.cfg
>
> There is no such file.
> The 2 files are /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg and /etc/default/timidity
>
> Evidently the wiki is referring to the second whereas I took it to be the first.

Thanks, updated the wiki page.

> Now when I edit it as suggested there is no syntax error but it does not work
> The session is as shown
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/timidity force-reload
>  * Stopping TiMidity++ ALSA midi emulation...                            [ OK ]
>  * Starting TiMidity++ ALSA midi emulation...                            [ OK ]
> $ No protocol specified
> XOpenDisplay() failed

Okay, so there are security barriers preventing a root client talking to
a user server. A few ideas:

1) Configure the problem away somehow, if that's possible

2) Turn timidity into a user-mode daemon (this is what PulseAudio would
prefer)

3) Go with FluidSynth instead of Timidity ;-)

// David