[pulseaudio-discuss] Policy engine(was RE: why command_cork_playback_stream() will be invoked many times?)

Zheng, Huan huan.zheng at intel.com
Fri Feb 6 00:54:18 PST 2009

>On some embedded devices, applications may play audio on some specific H/W that does not >fit into ALSA/PA model. For managing those streams, we provide some API so that applications >can register the "special" streams with the policy engine. This results in am_stream structures >being created also.

Yes, on some embeded devices which may have chip which could directly decode encoded audio data and directly throw to sound card. This kind of audio stream will never go into Alsa or PA, that's why am_stream_struct is introduced, it is a higher level abstraction of audio stream.
The stream state of this kind of audio stream is not awared by PA, so the stream state change need app to explicitly notify policy engine so that policy engine could correctly perform re-evaluation base on the correct set of audio streams.

Best Regards, Zheng, Huan(ZBT)

OTC/SSD/SSG

Intel Aisa-Pacific Research & Developement Ltd

Tel: 021-6116 6435

Inet: 8821 6435