[pulseaudio-discuss] ticket #79 - disable IPv6 support

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 10 12:35:05 PST 2009

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> I found a need to disable IPv6 support and found that this was discussed
> in ticket #79 but closed with "send a patch if you want it" comment but
> nobody seems to have done so.
>
> I have prepared a patch to allow this, see "pa.diff" attached. If INET6 is
> defined, IPv6 support is built, otherwise not. This can be controlled by
> "CPPFLAGS=-DINET6" in environment passed to configure script.
>
> It would likely be better to have the configure script to handle this with
> -disable-ipv6/-enable-ipv6....

My autoconf.fu is nonexistent so I can't help on this.  However, the IETF
Mafia would prefer if all software supported IPv6 by default, suggesting
that if possible the polarity should be SUPPRESS_IPv6 if you really, truly
have to.

I'm just getting started in this area, but as I understand it, getaddrinfo
(3) silently bypasses IPv6 on a host with no IPv6 capability; or if the
destination lacks an AAAA record it will provide either native IPv4 address
structures or IPv4-in-IPv6 mapped addresses depending on caller flags or on
whether it looks like the packet will go out on an IPv6-only interface.

About subscriptions: it's easy to join the list, stay on until your thread
runs down, then unsubscribe.  Alternatively, watch the list archive to pick
up replies.  With some news readers it's hard to "cc" to an unsubscribed
poster.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)