[pulseaudio-discuss] why command_cork_playback_stream() will be invoked many times?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 12 06:37:54 PST 2009

On Thu, 12.02.09 16:59, Jason Taylor (killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Thats cool...
>
> I've been playing around with some roles with python, things of noticed so
> far...
>
> - A paused (no one uses stop any more right?) music/video player will still
> have an active stream (both banshee and rhythmbox do this) blocking other
> music players,

Uh? Blocking other music players? What do you mean by this?

So you are not useing module-cork-music-on-phone right now?

If the newest GstPulseSink is used, the stream is properly corked and
in the newest PA you can query that state via the protocol.

> - Muting music players for totem-audio-preview (mouse hover on music file in
> nautilus) is really nice

Sounds like a job for the volume-follow-focus logic we played around
at foss.in.

> - Flash is a pain..

Yes, if you get hit by lightning it really hurts.

> - It would be nice to be able to set the role manually some how for a client
> using the alsa plugin (skype, flash etc)

There is now in PA git. Firstly if your .desktop file is named after
the binary name you can simply add a
"X-PulseAudio-Properties=media.role=music" to that file.

Alternatively you can set the enev vars "PULSE_PROP=media.role=music"
or "PULSE_PROP_media.role=music" (the latter you cannot do on the shell).

> - Multiple music/video players + ability to mute based on window focus is
> cool (especially if it fades)

Yes, I believe that. volume-follows-focus is what we toyed around with
at foss.in.