[pulseaudio-discuss] pavucontrol 0.9.7 - very high CPU usage when network sinks are enabled

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 15 12:17:15 PST 2009

Hi,

When using pavucontrol on systems with network sinks enabled, the CPU usage on all the systems is very high indeed.

I have a network of several machines. Most of them are running pulseaudio 0.9.14. I've enabled network sinks on all of them, and enabled zeroconf and auth.anonymous. Basically I've used paprefs so that every machine can see every other machine.

When I run pavucontrol 0.9.7 on any of the machines, the pulseaudio process on all of them starts to use huge amounts of CPU - enough to make it quit on slow machines. I've now built pavucontrol 0.9.6 from source and it does not produce this problem.

I've noticed that, when 0.9.7 is running, there is a lot of network traffic even when no audio is playing. It makes me wonder whether the cause of this problem is the vu-meters being displayed for all network sinks.

Mark