[pulseaudio-discuss] Distribution kernels and glitch-free (Packagers, read this!)

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Mon Feb 23 00:22:22 PST 2009

Rémi Cardona wrote On 23-02-2009 10:07:
> Le 23/02/2009 03:05, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
>> Not sure about
>> Gentoo (they'll probably use -funroll-loops instead because it makes
>> things faster or so ;-))
>
> Actually, we don't really recommend anything in that area (users build
> their own kernel, if it breaks, it's their own damn fault). So having a
> list somewhere on the wiki would probably be a good start - for all
> users, not just Gentoo users.
>
> Now, as a side question : what about NO_HZ kernels? I was under the
> impression that this was better than setting a 300 or 1000 HZ kernel.
> What's your stance on this?

AFAIK, NO_HZ doesn't mean that the timer doesn't have a defined frequency:

CONFIG_NO_HZ:
                                                                                                                                                                                                  This option enables a tickless system: *timer interrupts* will
only trigger on an as-needed basis both when the system is
busy and when the system is idle.

1000_HZ and CONFIG_NO_HZ can happily be enabled at the same time.

--
Ozan Çağlayan