[pulseaudio-discuss] Very crackly audio and crashing from cpu overload

Chris chris1.noreply at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:03:03 PST 2009

2009/1/8 Chris <chris1.noreply at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/1/8 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> I've been playing with the default-fragments and
> default-fragment-size-msec settings but they don't seem to be having
> any effect. I'm just getting occasional skipping now - maybe one skip
> of a fraction of a second every 3 to 5 seconds. The bad crackling went
> when I set tsched=1.

Think I've figured out something interesting... when I first start
playing music, it works reasonably well, but after a while, maybe 30
seconds, there is a glitch. At soon as there is a glitch, a message
appears in /var/log/messages about increasing the wakeup watermark.
Then the next glitch occurs after about 15 seconds and the watermark
is increased. Basically, the glitches become more and more frequent as
the watermark is increased. Here's the log output...

Jan  8 22:58:20 localhost pulseaudio[2772]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 5.99 ms
Jan  8 22:58:45 localhost pulseaudio[2772]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 11.97 ms
Jan  8 22:59:15 localhost pulseaudio[2772]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 23.95 ms
Jan  8 22:59:17 localhost pulseaudio[2772]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 47.89 ms
Jan  8 22:59:24 localhost pulseaudio[2772]: module-alsa-sink.c:
Increasing wakeup watermark to 71.27 ms

It never goes above that 71.27ms point but the glitches are frequent
from that point on until I restart pulse.

Thanks, Chris.