[pulseaudio-discuss] nomove property (for tunnels)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 12 06:18:02 PST 2009

On Sun, 11.01.09 21:17, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> Does it make sense to add a "nomove" property to streams that UI apps
> (and the server itself) should honour?
>
> I'm thinking in the case of tunnels which open a connection to a
> specific remote machines sinks, but which could then be moved to another
> sink on that server.

We already have a flag for that. It's called
PA_STREAM_DONT_MOVE. You may specify it when you create a
stream. However, AFAIR there  we are not exporting this flag back to
the client as part of pa_sink_input_info. But that's only because I
never hacked that up, not because it wouldn't be a good idea.

> On a related note, can sinks have properties too?

Yes! And some (such as the ALSA sinks) have pretty elaborate props already.

> If so, perhaps adding a "notunnel" property to sinks you do not want to
> be tunnelled would be clever? That way the zeroconf publish code could
> check this property rather than specifically checking for the
> PA_SINK_NETWORK flag.

Hmm, PA_SINK_NETWORK was introduced for this very purpose. It is a
flag you can set if your sink is already wrapping some kind of network
device and hence it shouldn't be wrapped a second time. It doesn't
really matter if the protocol in question is our native protocol
(i.e. as in "tunneling") or is RAOP, or UPnP or whatever. We generally
should say that network sinks should always connect "as directly" as
possible.