[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio cannot recognise ALSA plughw

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 19 13:12:06 PST 2009

On Mon, 19.01.09 23:01, Aleksander Kamenik (aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee) wrote:

> http://pastebin.com/m76854b7a
>
> I got something now. That's the only thing I found too, at the end.

Hmm, apparently the ALSA API function
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() fails in all cases. We ask for
the exact value of periods and it fails. We tell it to use a higher
number of periods than what we ask for and it fails. We then tell it
to use a lower number of periods than what we ask for and it fails
again. Whatever we do, it doesn't accept setting any periods.

We could tape over this: simply ignore that this fails and go
on. However this is certainly breakage in ALSA. So please file a bug
against ALSA and tell them that on your card
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() always fails. Then refer them to
the pa_alsa_set_hw_params() functions in PA.

ALSA folks tend to ignore BTSes. So make sure to post this to the ALSA
ML too.

One thing you might try before you file that bug is commenting the
invocation of snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer() in that
function, recompiling and testing whether that changes the behaviour.