[pulseaudio-discuss] Festival error with Nagios

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 22 12:44:46 PST 2009

On Thu, 22.01.09 08:46, TheCajun (thecajun at nmia.com) wrote:

> This is a Fedora10 installation.  Everything worked fine in my Ferdora9
> installation.

For security reasons PA is not autospawned for root. If you want to
use it, then you have to run it manually.

> Jan 22 08:33:37 localhost pulseaudio[7413]: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Permission denied

Looks like a permission problem. On Fedora access to the sound device
files is nowadays managed via ConsoleKit/HAL and ACLs -- only the
currently active session gets access to the device files. If you run
stuff outside of any session you thus need to modify the CK configuration.