[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth Latency Question

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 22 13:00:10 PST 2009

On Wed, 21.01.09 13:44, Baek Chang (baeksan at ccrma.stanford.edu) wrote:

> How is the latency obtained when using bluetooth in pulseaudio.  By latency
> I mean something similar to snd_pcm_delay().  Since bluetooth doesn't use
> alsa, how is the time delay calculated from writing data to actually hearing
> it out of the dac?

AFAIK Bluetooth doesn't really offer a sensible way to query the
current delay, not even a2dp. In fact a2dp doesn't even offer flow
control.

The clocking part in the PA BT module is currently lacking. I just
bought myself a bit of BT hardware so that I can hack on this and try
to work around the limitations of BT a bit.

Lip-sync audio/video with a BT headset is probably not going to
happen, though. And that is not a limitation of PA but of BT.