[pulseaudio-discuss] Apps playing through PA do not show up in pacmd or pavucontrol

Timothy J Massey tmassey at obscorp.com
Wed Jul 1 08:38:07 PDT 2009

Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote on 07/01/2009 06:27:03 AM:

> 'Twas brillig, and Timothy J Massey at 01/07/09 06:28 did gyre and
gimble:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a MPD session playing through PulseAudio.  The *only*
audio_output
> > in the mpd.conf looks like this:
> >
> > audio_output {
> >         type "pulse"
> >         name "MPD Player #1 via PulseAudio"
> >         sink "mpdplayer1"
> > }
> >
> > I start MPD and play something, and it plays properly.  HOWEVER,
> > PulseAudio shows no evidence that MPD is actually playing through it.
For
> > example, if I use pavucontrol and display the Playback tab shows
"System
> > Sounds" only.  No MPD.  Or, if I use list-sink-inputs from pacmd, it
tells
> > me that there are *0* sink-inputs!
>
> Sounds like you're running mpd as a different user and has it's own
> pulseaudio daemon process running. Your user is connecting to it's
> session of pulseaudio.

It turns out that that is *exactly* what was happening.  A pulseaudio
daemon was spawning running as "mpd"...  Sorry for the noise.  System mode
is looking better and better... :)  The system is supposed to run headless
eventually anyway.

> I'd imagine Ubuntu is using the old interrupt driven mode whereas Fedora

> is using glitch free and your card's h/w driver doesn't support that.
> Compare the default.pa on each distro and see if there are any
> differences. I suspect the Ubuntu one will have tsched=0 passed to
> module-hal-detect.

It does.  And Fedora does not:  It was on my list of things to figure out.

> HTHs

Yes, thank you.  I very much appreciate your help.

Tim Massey