[pulseaudio-discuss] system sounds on KDE 4.3 too loud

Nicolas Peyron peyronn at free.fr
Thu Jul 16 05:47:30 PDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:49:32 +0300, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan at pardus.org.tr>
wrote:
> Malte Gell wrote On 16-07-2009 08:09:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i use pulse 0.9.14 with KDE 4.3. In the Phonon setting of KDE I set
>> pulseaudio
>> as the top device for playback.
>>
>> Ok, and in pavucontrol I've set system sounds to 50% loudness. But
system

>> sound is still much louder than e.g. MP3 playback which has 85%
loudness!
>> How
>> can that be? Is Phonon broken and does not use pulse?
>>

> It's possible that the system sounds widget in pavucontrol is not
> working at all if the distribution you're using isn't using libcanberra
> for playing the event sounds which should be the case with all the major
> KDE4 distributions around.

Phonon doesn't wire notification in the system sound, instead each time an
application send a notification, you will see a stream with the application
name pop in pavucontrol. For exemple when kopete sends a notification sound
because I received a new message, I see kopete appearing during 1 or 2
seconds in the stream list of pavucontrol.

(Yes it sucks)