[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and OS X

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 17 00:23:55 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 17/07/09 07:46 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 09:57:35PM +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> pe, 2009-07-17 kello 04:14 +1000, Kim Lester kirjoitti:
>>> I'm considering using PA for some projects.
>>> I have both Mac and Linux boxes. I would like to consider porting it
>>> to Mac.
>
> Heh, I though about that, too.

Awseome... A merry little band is forming :D

> I've provided some code to do such things to xine many years ago. But
> the code still runs fine and AudioUnits (the technique the code uses) is
> still the way to do it.
>
>   http://hg.debian.org/hg/xine-lib/xine-lib-1.2/file/f54baed366ef/src/audio_out/audio_coreaudio_out.c

Somewhat unrelated, but Diego has said already his work on the pulse
output in xine needs a lot of love!

In actual fact our poor support of xine in PA is leading to quite a few
problems in KDE land :s

>> and a virtual sound card driver for redirecting sound from any
>> program to PA.
>
> And I could probably help here, too - I've been hacking Mac OS X audio
> drivers (kexts) in the past and know about some nasty pitfalls.

Awesome! This is exactly the kind of experience we need.

Just out of curiosity, and assuming the desktop bit gets done first, do
you know if it's possible to play with the audio output layer on the
iphone? I wonder if it's possible to hack in a different kext there and
use a different output device for the built in media player. That would
be cool :D

While the market for doing this on iPhone -> Linux is probably quite low
(not sure how many there would be), I'd imagine the market for doing
iPhone -> OSX is much larger!

Could be a real PR boon for PA if that worked! I suspect the Airfoil
guys would be all over it (albeit in a different way) already tho', so
perhaps it's not that easy!

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]