[pulseaudio-discuss] Microphone input filter

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:51:45 PDT 2009

Your microphone should have the same capability under ALSA that it
does under Windows.  It's the same hardware, it's just a little harder
to configure.  While it's possible that it has special "only make good
sound under Windows" drivers, you could still give Linux a shot.

With my laptop mic, I usually need at least 50% or 100% microphone
boost (100% is sometimes too strong).  Then I find an ideal volume for
my microphone/Front Mic (usually around 50%-60%) and stick with that.

Since it's your laptop microphone, odds are you're going to be in the
same physical position (in front of the laptop) when you use it.

So pull open the console and run "alsamixer -c0", then open up Sound
Recorder in your Applications menu, and just test the different
settings until you find something you can live with.  After you do
that, there's no need to worry about it again.  Hope that helps.