[pulseaudio-discuss] [PACKAGERS] Patches for 0.9.15

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 9 15:16:36 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Felipe Contreras at 09/06/09 21:27 did gyre and gimble:
> See it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know what's the
> latest version of PA (newbie, or someone who hasn't followed the
> project in a while); it's much easier to just checkout "stable".

I don't think a single "stable" branch is appropriate. For one, it's not
really making the best use of git here. To keep a stable branch, we
would essentially have to recreate it when a new release is done,
causing people to need forced updates, no fast forwarding etc. You could
rebase the branch at release time I guess but that may mean making
commits out of order and having to resolve merge conflicts again (e.g.
if you had to tweak a cherry-pick to the stable branch). This is
dangerous as could result in the code being slightly different. So no a
single "stable" branch is not, IMO, a good idea.

Pulse isn't really something that is entirely newbie friendly anyway -
it's got to be integrated fairly deeply at the distro level for it to
work nicely and that will likely be most new users route to playing with
pulse.

If you're at the stage of checking out the source code from git, you're
way beyond newbie status and can spend the extra 10 seconds looking at
the various branches and deciding for yourself what one to work with.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]