[pulseaudio-discuss] Musings on stream device and volume restore rules

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:59:45 PDT 2009

In the case of USB headsets I think a rule that says if a new local output
appears "move all streams (new and current)" to it option would cover 90% of
cases with an option to toggle the rule off?

Thats what I have running anyway at it works as I'd expect

Jason Taylor

2009/3/25 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>

> Disclaimer... I'm a bit tired and haven't proofed this as much as I'd like.
> And I wrote most of it while in an airport and quite bored.
>
> The suggestions are my own thoughts and opinions but are perhaps based on
> inaccurate assumptions, so feel free to correct me and change my opinion!
>

> Stream Memory Database and Restoration Rules
>
> This document outlines the needs and use case for the stream memory
> capabilities in pulseaudio and how this information should be used. It
> finishes with recommendations for implementation.
>
> Restrictions
> ============
>
> The system employed needs to be simple and allow for fully server based
> management and application of the rules. The logic should be kept simple
> with minimal overhead but still be powerful enough to meet all the needs of
> current actual and potential use cases.
>

> Current System
> ==============
>
> Currently module-stream-restore stores various metadata on streams it sees.
> This currently consists of:
>  * volume
>  * channel map
>  * mute status
>  * device (optional)
>
> It stores this metadata under a key that governs how it is matched again in
> the future.
>
> The key itself has two parts, a prefix from a predefined list and a suffix
> relating to the specific stream in some way.
>
> Prefixes include:
>  * sink-input-by-media-role
>  * sink-input-by-application-id
>  * sink-input-by-application-name
>  * sink-input-by-media-name
>
> (where "sink-input" could also be "source-output" for input streams)
>

> The specific identifier is suffixed on the end of this, to create a final
> key that is stored and queried in the database to give final keys of e.g.:
>  * sink-input-by-media-role:event
>  * sink-input-by application-name:MPlayer
>  * etc.
>
> When a stream is started, module-stream-restore will pick exactly one key
> that it will use to identify a stream. If the stream has a media role
> property it will use *-by-media-role. It then falls back to check the
> different identifiers, in order, as outlined above.
>

> Problems
> ========
>
> The current system has a couple limitations.
>  1. If a stream has a media role, it is impossible to save a volume for the
> specific application with that role as the key sink-input-by-media-role:xxxx
> will always take precidence over a sink-input-by-application-name:yyyy keyed
> rule.
>  2. If an application is modified to start providing new metadata (e.g. a
> role) the entries for that specific application that were used
> (sink-input-by-application-name) will no longer be matched and the data will
> be stale in the file. This is not really a major problem.
>  3. The current system only allows for one device to be matched, not an
> [...]

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Calven