[pulseaudio-discuss] Musings on stream device and volume restore rules

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 12:53:40 PDT 2009

2009/3/25 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>

> 'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 24/03/09 23:59 did gyre and gimble:
>
>> In the case of USB headsets I think a rule that says if a new local output
>> appears "move all streams (new and current)" to it option would cover 90% of
>> cases with an option to toggle the rule off?
>>
>> Thats what I have running anyway at it works as I'd expect
>>

> Well with the priority lists and the fact it remembers previously plugged
> in devices, I'd say that it's not a major issue. If a brand new, never seen
> before device is plugged in, the real issue here is where does it go in the
> priority list? If it goes to the top, you get what you want here I think.
> The second time it's plugged in, it's already in the list in some capacity
> so the rules as to whether to move the streams across to it is pretty
> straightforward and clear.
>
> So if the implementation section of my proposal is accepted, it would be
> trivial to create a "module-new-devices-take-top-spot" module that
> implements this policy.

Cool :), that would fix the issue and it would work over restarts, unless
you can think of a use case where you would not want a new output to have
highest priority...

> (I think)
>
> Col
>

> --
>
> Colin Guthrie
> gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie
> http://colin.guthr.ie/
>
> Day Job:
>  Tribalogic Limited [http://www.tribalogic.net/]
> Open Source:
>  Mandriva Linux Contributor [http://www.mandriva.com/]
>  PulseAudio Hacker [http://www.pulseaudio.org/]
>  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Calven