[pulseaudio-discuss] specifying ALSA mixer control

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 26 09:03:54 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 26/03/09 14:25 did gyre and gimble:
> I doubt that it would be so useful to expose this in PA anyway. I
> mean, how realistic is it wanting to drive both SPDIF and analog audio
> at the same time from the same sound card? Appears to be a very exotic
> niche usage to me.

I'm not so sure. I've had quite a few people wanting to do this. One
user even has a card where the analog comes out his speakers but the
digital is connected to his HDMI output. For him, he can play a movie on
his computer via HDMI and direct the movie's audio via the digital
connector while still using his computer and wanting to output desktop
related sounds there.

That's not an overly exotic setup IMO.

(normally HDMI sound comes from a different "card" in the examples I've
seen in the past, so this one was an exception to me). This example was
on IRC just the other day... just search your backlog for STAC and you
should find it!

That example aside, I have seen several comments from other users
wanting to use both at the same time, so I for one would really like to
see this setup supported in pulse (despite not having the h/w to exploit
it myself!).

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]