[pulseaudio-discuss] Description for virtual sinks

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:16:56 PDT 2009

It's good to think about a generic way to set all these properties, on
all sources, sinks, etc. This way we avoid all the separate patches,
like the ones for module-remap-sink and airport.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> The only non-trivial issue here is that the two parsers don't
> interfere with each other. i.e. that doing stuff like
>
>   proplist="foo='bar waldo' yippieh='wow'"
>
> is parsed properly. And that it still is possible to include quotation
> marks of all kinds in the property strings.

May be it is easier to avoid the double quoting and recognize all the
defined properties as module parameters. You could just parse all the
recognized options and pass the rest to pa_proplist_from_string(). For
example:

  load-module module-combine slave=sink1,sink2 device.description="my
device" application.icon_name="my icon"

Another approach is separate set-*-property commands. I would really
like to be able to fire up pacmd and just say:

  set-sink-input-property StreamName media.artist "Artist Name"

These commands could even entirely replace the suggested syntax for
load-module. You could just do:

  load-module module-alsa-sink device="hw:0,0" sink_name=asink
  set-sink-property asink foo "bar waldo"
  set-sink-property asink yippieh wow

Maarten