[pulseaudio-discuss] specifying ALSA mixer control

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 27 05:21:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, 24.03.09 12:07, kyle cronan (kyle at pbx.org) wrote:

> 2009/3/24 Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl>:
> >  AFAIK this really depends on hardware. Above screenshot is from my
> > laptop (Centrino 2, Intel HDA on Connexant chip), I once saw this dialog
> > on computer with EMU10K card. The list was bigger than screen and there
> > were various combinations.
> >  So, if the card supports simultanous output to SPDIF and analog, there
> > will be two ink available. This is how I undestand profiles :)
>
> The problem is not that I had to manually specify two sinks in the
> config file.  I don't mind doing that.  The problem is that the only
> way for me to independently control the volume of the SPDIF was to
> create a custom mixer control using softvol.  So I needed a way to
> select this as the mixer for one of the sinks.

Yes. This is actually a real problem. Currently PA selects one mixer
element and then just sticks to it regardless which profile is
activated. On some cards that works fine. On most cards however SPDIF
is not influenced by "Master" and hence the volume control becomes
useless.

This needs to be fixed in PA. Not sure though if we can do this
without getting some support for this from ALSA:

> I tried installing the latest git sources on my Ubuntu Jaunty box but
> it just broke sound in all my applications.  For my own purposes, I'm
> going to need to start with the Ubuntu-patched 0.9.14.  However, if
> you are willing to accept this patch I will forward port it so that it
> applies to the latest sources.  It's a completely harmless change, so
> why not apply it?

Yes, I am happy to apply it. Could you please update it for current git?