[pulseaudio-discuss] skipping sound for one user, but not the other

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 31 05:41:31 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 31/03/09 11:28 did gyre and gimble:
> This goes directly to PA.
>
> The first case has twice as much buffering (i.e. tlength) then the
> second case. It's the application that asks for the buffer size.

Indeed. Probably the most interesting thing here is how Phonon is
configured.... In theory going directly through pulse is best (via the
xine-pulse plugin, or gstreamer-pulse pluging depending on your phonon
backend), but it seems that one of the plugins (on your system at least)
is not performing particularly well.

I should say that I suspect it is the xine plugin.

/me hates the whole concept of the xine backend in Phonon. I wish more
effort had been put in to the *Qt supported* gstreamer version rather
than spitting out the dummy but such is life.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]