[pulseaudio-discuss] Strange "Root privileges required" error

interim_descriptor interim.descriptor at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:29:35 PDT 2009

Hi.

I'm trying to configure pulseaudio in Ubuntu 9.10, such that it runs as a
system instance with realtime priority, upon boot.

I've encountered something strange.

After running...

chmod a+s /usr/bin/pulseaudio

...I would expect invoking pulseaudio would do so with root-level
permissions. And yet, here's what I get when I try that:

id at kos-mos:~ $ pulseaudio -v
(   0.000|   0.000) I: main.c: We're in the group 'pulse-rt', allowing
high-priority scheduling.
(   0.000|   0.000) I: main.c: We're in the group 'pulse-rt', allowing
real-time scheduling.
(   0.000|   0.000) I: main.c: RLIMIT_RTPRIO is set to 99, allowing
real-time scheduling.
(   0.000|   0.000) I: main.c: RLIMIT_NICE is set to 40, allowing
high-priority scheduling.
(   0.000|   0.000) I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
(   0.000|   0.000) I: main.c: Giving up CAP_NICE
(   0.000|   0.000) E: main.c: Root privileges required.

...Am I misunderstanding what the SUID bit does, or is pulseaudio
incorrectly reporting that it doesn't have root privleges?

Running the above pulseaudio command preceded by a "sudo" starts the daemon
as expected.

Please let me know if there's any further information I can give to help you
diagnose this.

-Chris

PS. Here's my /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:

# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published
by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
# USA.

## Configuration file for the PulseAudio daemon. See pulse-daemon.conf(5)
for
## more information. Default values a commented out.  Use either ; or # for
## commenting.

daemonize = yes
; fail = yes
; disallow-module-loading = no
; disallow-exit = no
; use-pid-file = yes
system-instance = yes
; disable-shm = no
; shm-size-bytes = 0 # setting this 0 will use the system-default, usually
64 MiB

high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11

realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 99

; exit-idle-time = 20
; module-idle-time = 20
; scache-idle-time = 20

; dl-search-path = (depends on architecture)

; load-default-script-file = yes
; default-script-file =

log-target = auto
log-level = notice
log-meta = no
log-time = yes
log-backtrace = 0

resample-method = src-linear
; disable-remixing = no
; disable-lfe-remixing = yes

; flat-volumes = yes

no-cpu-limit = yes

; rlimit-fsize = -1
; rlimit-data = -1
; rlimit-stack = -1
; rlimit-core = -1
; rlimit-as = -1
; rlimit-rss = -1
; rlimit-nproc = -1
; rlimit-nofile = 256
rlimit-memlock = -1
; rlimit-locks = -1
; rlimit-sigpending = -1
; rlimit-msgqueue = -1
rlimit-nice = 31
rlimit-rtprio = 99
; rlimit-rtttime = 1000000

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right

default-fragments = 8
default-fragment-size-msec = 10

//