[pulseaudio-discuss] Ubuntu Hardy, Pulseaudio and Jack

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat May 23 17:03:34 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:57 AM, rosea grammostola <
rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Lennart Poettering <
> lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23.05.09 22:31, rosea grammostola (rosea.grammostola at gmail.com)
>> wrote:

>> important. I
>> to work

>> Hardy, so

>> Pulseaudio
>>
>> This doesn't make much sense. PA is a sound server for the
>> desktop. JACK for audio production. Running both at the same time
>> seldomly makes any sense. You don't want event sounds from your window
>> manager mixed into your newly recording song.
>

> Ok so not running both at the same time. But how do you stop pulseaudio
> from running and restart it after you used JACK?
>

>> Also, to be frank, the Ubuntu Forums are usually full of misleading
>> nonsense. I'd rather stay away from them.
>

> that's probably the best advise for Linux in years ;)

Oh yeah and is it true that Pulseaudio wasn't implemented in Hardy very well
as this howto mentions (and there where a lot of  pulseaudio problems
reportings on Hardy):  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

that thread is quoting Lennart:

'Some distributions did a better job adopting PulseAudio than others. On the
good side I certainly have to list Mandriva, Debian, and Fedora. OTOH Ubuntu
didn't exactly do a stellar job. They didn't do their homework. Adopting PA
in a distribution is a fair amount of work, given that it interfaces with so
many different things at so many different places. The integration with
other systems is crucial. The information was all out there, communicated on
the wiki, the mailing lists and on the PA IRC channel. But if you join and
hang around on neither, then you won't get the memo. To my surprise when
Ubuntu adopted PulseAudio they moved into one of their 'LTS' releases
rightaway. Which I guess can be called gutsy -- on the background that I
work for Red Hat and PulseAudio is not part of RHEL at this time. I get a
lot of flak from Ubuntu users, and I am pretty sure the vast amount of it is
undeserving and not my fault.'

Regards,

\r