[pulseaudio-discuss] Ubuntu Hardy, Pulseaudio and Jack

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun May 24 13:49:46 PDT 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009 20:42:34 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 24.05.09 11:23, Mark Greenwood (fatgerman at ntlworld.com) wrote:
>
> > Another situation in which it makes sense is one like my audio
> > production PC, where I don't have an ALSA-supported soundcard - I
> > use FFADO and JACK. This means I can only get sound out of
> > jack-aware applications.
> >
> > I've used module-jack-sink but found that it wasn't very good. I run
> > JACK with a latency of 0.8ms and Pulseaudio couldn't keep up.
>
> Gah. PA should have no problem keeping up with that.

Well, something kept dying after about 20 seconds, and it wasn't JACK. I guess that doesn't meant it was PA, might have been some application or the KDE sound system (most likely). I didnt spent too much time with it as I didn't need it to work.

> OTOH latencies of 0.8ms are crackish anyway.

That's your opinion. OTOH it's my necessity. FFADO makes it possible; ALSA never came close.

> And then again, it doesn't make any sense to use firewire sound crds
> for desktop purposes.

For pure desktop use, for 99% of people no... for me, if this was my only PC then I'd need to make it work, but only because the primary function of the machine is low latency audio production. That puts me in a small minority at least as far as Linux users are concerned. It's just a bit of a whinge of mine that Linux has such potential in the audio area and so many wonderful things have been implemented but it seems sometimes that there are too many almost-but-not-quite-compatible sound systems, all of which do useful things, and it would just be so great if they'd all co-operate... but I'm very aware that is the nature of the beast... I'm a utopian.... In a perfect world everything would just work.. :)

> But if it would, it should be a relatively easy
> job to implement an FFADO plugin for PA.

Intreresting. One day maybe, when time allows.. :)

Mark