[pulseaudio-discuss] Can I configure a stream when not active?

Phil Wieland phil at philwieland.com
Tue May 26 06:59:07 PDT 2009

Is there any way to set the volume and output device of a stream which
is not currently active?

Scenario:
Ubuntu 9.04.  I have two output devices, a sound card and a USB phone
handset.  The default output stream is (foolishly) set to the USB phone.

I hover the mouse pointer over an ogg file on the desktop and the
totem-audio-preview starts up.  This is the first time I've used it, so
it chooses the USB phone to play on.

Now I'm stuck, because as soon as I move the mouse to the pavucontrol
the preview stream disappears, so I can't switch its destination!

My workaround was to find out where the database storing these settings
is, delete it and then start again, setting the default stream to the
sound card before activating the previewer, but this seems a bit of a
bodge.  Is there a better way?  Perhaps the Show selector should have an
entry for inactive streams?

--
Phil,
Liverpool UK