[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed May 27 08:25:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 10:12 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> 2009/5/27 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:
> > So is the only way to communicate with pulse other than brute force kill or
> > "pasuspender" to use the dbus protocol?
>
> Probably yes, since it seems that PA's client API doesn't contain
> functions for suspending sinks (i.e. release devices). But why would
> you want to use something else than D-Bus? This piece of functionality
> was developed in cooperation with the Jack developers for just this
> use case (or so I believe). Even if there were other ways, Jack would
> need to modified to use those ways, so what's wrong with this
> particular solution?

Just to butt in for a bit on this point, there's a big discussion
currently in the jack-devel ML concerning jackdbus. As of this time, it
seems to me that its likely dbus support in jack would be optional
(plug-in or something of that nature). The upshot of that would be that
it would be the decision of packagers whether jack for a particular
distro would contain dbus.

The issues some have with dbus in the jack-devel ML is basically
breakage of legacy as well as some licensing issue with the LGPL jack
uses.