[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed May 27 00:28:46 PDT 2009

Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> 2009/5/27 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:
>
>> So is the only way to communicate with pulse other than brute force kill or
>> "pasuspender" to use the dbus protocol?
>>

> Probably yes, since it seems that PA's client API doesn't contain
> functions for suspending sinks (i.e. release devices). But why would
> you want to use something else than D-Bus? This piece of functionality
> was developed in cooperation with the Jack developers for just this
> use case (or so I believe). Even if there were other ways, Jack would
> need to modified to use those ways, so what's wrong with this
> particular solution?

Well in recent discussions over at jack-devel it turns out that a lot of
people don't want dbus support in any way, shape or form so I would like
to explore the alternatives to have a complete overview of the
possibilities. I personally don't have a problem with dbus support as
long as it works seamlessly in jack and pulse and doesn't cause any
audio latency or unnecessary overhead.

BTW,  I  consider pulse and jack working together to be a part of the
holy grail of Linux Audio. It is definitely a very powerful concept and
deserves a higher place in the priority list than that of a curiosity or
toy status.

It would make a lot of professional and semi professional desktop
multimedia users feel more comfortable about exploring Linux as a viable
option if they didn't have to fight with the sound system and IMO, they
are the ones who will contribute most to the future growth of Linux on
the desktop over the next few years by producing the  cool stuff that
inspires others to do the same.

If the games industry would also get on board then Linux on the desktop
would be complete.

Cheers

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd