[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed May 27 14:53:14 PDT 2009

On 05/28/2009 04:36 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:

>>> After the past couple of days I think Nokia is probably a bad example to
>>> use for leadership in automated systems design.
>>>
>> Leadership? Who said leadership?
>>
>> I am just using Nokia as one example here. Nokia has one of the more
>> extreme licensing policies, e.g. they don't use GPL3 software and so
>> on. But still, D-Bus is perfectly fine with them.
>>
>> If some JACK folks try to avoid D-Bus due to licensing reasons
>> regarding LGPL then they are apparently smoking something that is not
>> good for their health.
>>

> ROFL.. Lennart... sometimes you speak untold wisdom :)

- Heh, I missed that comment first time round.

Are you suggesting that smoking tobacco can lead to bad decision making?

If you are I have to wonder where you get your facts. If you are talking
about some other herbal product then it depends on the tolerance,
quantity and period of usage that would determine the affect on decision
making abilities.

Coffee or stress can have just as much if not more negative impact.
Drinking can really screw people up and taking in Fox news everyday will
certainly cause mental illness and poor decision making.

- Joking aside, there are good reasons for and against dbus, apart from
licensing concerns and no one is actually saying it should not be an
option for those who want it or those who don't care if they have it.
The main concern was that it should not be forced on everyone.

I think it is useful that you have the internal api calls so dbus is not
a requirement for communicating with PA.

- FYI, Stephane has clarified that the existing code that signals for PA
to suspend is part of the ALSA level code and is only tied to dbus
because that was the option chosen for communicating to PA. It almost
sounds like he was not aware of the API calls that are available. So
thanks for clarifying that point as it provides another option for
seamless integration of jack and PA.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd