[pulseaudio-discuss] [Surround 5.1] distorted audio because of too high volume levels

Achim Frase achim.frase at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 1 09:35:11 PST 2009

Hello everybody,

I have noticed that the new pulseaudio volume logic sets the volume of
my mixer elements in alsamixer to 100%.

I always reduced the volume a little bit so that the audio isn't
distorted, but nowadays pulseaudio setzt the volume back to 100%.

There are two possible solution to my mind.

1) Is there a way to tell PA that it should set the volume of my
channels [(PCM), Front, Surround, Center, LFE] to 94%?

2) I have noticed that PA only changes the volume of the Master mixer
element if I change the volume in gnome. Wouldn't it be better if PA
would change the volume of all 6 [Master, (PCM), Front, Surround,
Center, LFE] mixer elements, then my problem would also disappear.

Codec: Realtek ALC888
Address: 0
Function Id: 0x1
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0888
Subsystem Id: 0x14627521
Revision Id: 0x100001

pulseaudio:
  Installiert: 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4
  Kandidat: 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4
  Versions-Tabelle:
 *** 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4 0

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Compiled on Oct 15 2009 for kernel 2.6.31-14-generic (SMP).

I have Flat-Volume activated.
Power management is disabled.

Regards
Achim