[pulseaudio-discuss] How to move streams to/from a remote PA server

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 1 10:05:40 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tore Anderson at 01/11/09 13:54 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello list,
>
> I've got PA running (system-wide) on my HTPC box (connected to my
> stereo) and it's also running on my workstation.  Zeroconf announcements
> from the HTPC box seems to work just fine, at least it shows up in the
> default server selection menu in padevchooser on my workstation, and if
> I select it and start an audio-outputting application the sound is
> played through the stereo.
>
> What I've not been able to figure out, however, is how to move the
> streams of already-running applications to (or from) the PA server on
> the HTPC box from (or to) the workstation.  The move stream menu in the
> volume control applet only offers to move the stream to different output
> devices local to the PA server the stream is currently running on.  As I
> understand it, moving around streams to arbirary output devices on
> arbitrary PA serves is supposed to be a core PA feature, so I'm a bit
> stumped as how to actually go about doing it.  I'd appreciate any pointers!

You shouldn't run padevchooser. It's not something we support or
recommend these days, party due to exactly this problem!

The approach you need to take here is slightly different. You do not
(cannot) move a live stream between two PA deamons. What you do instead
is *always* talk to your local PA server. If you run paprefs, and enable
the relevent network options, you will automatically get a "Tunnel" sink
added to your local PA that will allow you to move your streams between
the local and remote devices.

Hope that helps.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]