[pulseaudio-discuss] "Expected" or "reasonable" latency

Eric Jonas jonas at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 9 11:56:36 PST 2009

> Obviously in your case you know the hardware, but the user may very well
> move the stream to e.g. a bluetooth device or similar where the latency
> will be very different, do dealing with latency issues are something
> that applications shouldn't really ignore. Aiming for low latency is
> fine (if you don't care about power consumption), depending on it is
> generally not :)

Okay, so at any point my application should be able to deal with the
fact that the latency of the connected stream may change. I'm completely
fine with that, and in fact it seems to be the only sane option. I just
want to make sure that I can achieve "reasonable" low-latencies most of
the time, and don't have to go down a road like Jack.

Thanks again,
     ...Eric