[pulseaudio-discuss] volume-independence on secondary output devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 9 15:27:43 PST 2009

On Sun, 08.11.09 20:46, Jud Craft (craftjml at gmail.com) wrote:

> This also causes problems with flat volumes too -- my flat volumes
> don't seem to be applied (ex., to Rhythmbox) when using the external
> USB output.

That might be happening because your devices lacks valid dB
information in which case we cannot enable flat volumes for it since
the hw volume range is mostly opaque to us. You can use "pacmd
list-sinks" to find that out. (look for the DECIBEL_VOLUME flag)

Normally the deivce that gnome applies the volume changes to should be
the one that is selected in g-v-c or selected as "Fallback" in
pavucontrol (as mentioned by other folks already). If that does not
work please file a bug.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net