[pulseaudio-discuss] only "dummy audio" available when many users want to use one audio card

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 21 16:13:38 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tomasz Chmielewski at 21/11/09 21:18 did gyre and gimble:
> I have a multiseat workstation - two graphics cards, two keyboards/mice,
> two monitors, but one audio card.
>
> Before pulseaudio was mainstream, I was using ALSA, and both users could
> use audio.

This isn't really something supported by the default and recommended PA
setup.

To achieve what you want you need to stop running a separate PA for each
user and instead one system-wide version (see the --system) argument.

You then need to add each user to the pulse-access group to ensure they
are allowed to talk to the PA process.

This isn't really recommended as the users will be able to see each
others streams which is a privacy issue, but it may not matter too much.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]