[pulseaudio-discuss] only "dummy audio" available when many users want to use one audio card

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Nov 25 11:10:00 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tomasz Chmielewski at 25/11/09 19:02 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> This is typically a permissions problem. Does the "pulse" user (which
>> IIRC is used by system mode) have permissions to open the sound devices?
>
> All right, this was it!
>
> I wish pulsaudio with multiple users was more straightforward one day.

Well it is rather simple with multiple users... just not at the same time!

The multi-seat setup is still rather niche compared to the multi-user
setup (e.g. OSX+Windows do the same multi-user stuff we enable OOTB too).

Even on multi-seat systems, most of the time each seat has it's own
dedicated device (e.g. USB speakers) or similar. This is being dealt
with and will be supported with a standard pulse install reasonably soon
(whenever the consolekit/udev support is there basically).

So really, we're not too bad for the 99% percent of use cases :p

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]