[pulseaudio-discuss] Why no 'default device' option?

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:50:08 PST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently with PulseAudio, every new app that I start will use the onboard
> sound card. I have to manually go to pavucontrol, and change the streams to
> my headset

The new gnome-volume-control applet shipped in 2.28 works just fine
for this use case. I know at least it works in Fedora 12 and Ubuntu
9.10 running 0.9.21, having just tested each on a different machine
both with internal audio and a usb audio device.

Secondary-click the speaker icon, choose Sound Preferences, choose the
Output tab, and select the radio button for the desired output device.