[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 27 01:18:03 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Markus Rechberger at 27/11/09 06:33 did gyre and gimble:
> When temporary changing over to the PA group the memory mappings
> should be possible,
> shouldn't it? I won't get around to check this before the end of next
> week actually...

To be honest I'm really not sure what you are trying to solve by moving
the groups around...

The SHM memory issue is simply that it doesn't work under system-wide
mode. Moving groups around is nothing to do with this.

System wide mode *requires* that any user wanting to output sound *must*
be in the pulse-access group. This is why reconfiguring it in the
background puts a massive amount of administration overhead onto the
user to ensure all their users are configured in this way.

In many ways, a system wide PA that properly sandboxes user's
connections/streams according to username and/or other ACL based rules
and had full integration with consolekit at that level could solve these
issues (doing away with the pulse-access group requirement etc), but the
SHM issue becomes a problem then which is quite a big issue.

I'm really not qualified to comment on this, but it's not a problem
unique to yourself. mpd is typically configured in a similar way and
suffers the same problems.

Bearing in mind that PA is typically aimed at desktop users, this really
isn't a massive problem, but it's still one that crops up (and lets face
it everyone is vocal when something is perceived as breaking and no one
shouts praises for saving battery power and for making multidevice
management work etc. etc.)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]