[pulseaudio-discuss] Running under Windows 7

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 01:29:55 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Shane W <shane-pulseaudio at csy.ca> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just downloaded the PA windows binaries and attempted
> running on Windows 7. It's erroring out loading waveout
> saying it can't load wavein. I can post the exact error if
> required. Since the win32 binaries are quite old, I am
> wondering if there is anything more recent out there. How
> does one compile PA under Windows. I do have Cygwin
> installed but understand PA doesn't use that.

PA once built on Windows, but that was (as you say) a fairly old
version released by Cendio. Since that time, changes have been
committed that are incompatible with mingw and/or Cygwin, but the
changes are nonetheless beneficial to PA's feature set and performance
on Linux/OSX/UNIX.

PA will need to be "re-ported" to Windows to build a more recent
version of PA on Windows. However, rather than porting an old version,
I think it makes sense to port the current git master, and keep
updating it whenever someone commits a patch that does not properly
deal with Windows toolchain and/or library discrepancies.

There have been quite some volunteers I've observed on the ML
volunteering to contribute patches to fix PA on Windows, but I don't
know of the degree to which they've been successful. On the other
hand, Cygwin 1.7 is said to improve on its compatibility with existing
Linux-targeted sources, so it may be worth it to re-examine that
option. I might not be up to date on the latest developments, but I
think it's safe to say that current PA git master is unlikely to
compile on Windows under any toolchain.

> Finally isn't wavein just for recording. Since I don't need
> to record, is there a way to just skip that module?

module-waveout, as documented here
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-waveout appears to have a
parameter called "record" which, when set to 0, does not try to
initialize wavein. Make the following change in default.pa (or
system.pa):

load-module module-waveout record=0 name=blah