[pulseaudio-discuss] "passthrough" audio (eg. AC3 / DTS / WM9)

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Mon Oct 5 13:29:22 PDT 2009

Dnia 2009-10-05, pon o godzinie 22:16 +0200, Lennart Poettering pisze:
> If you need ac3 pass-thru then you need to bypass PA. Just make sure
> you are not using the SPDIF port for PA (use g-v-c or pavucontrol and
> make sure the sound card is notconfigured for any of the 'digital
> iec985' modes).

Actually I can confirm that PA can work along SPDIF pass-through quite
fine (well, it's a race, I'll give you that).

I have my card configured to use 'Digital Output' profile and whatever
speaks to PA, speaks to my amplifier with PCM over SPDIF, but if I
choose to do so, as long as PA suspends the alsa output due to it being
idle, I can succesfully pass through AC3 and DTS over alsa.

All that really requires is for the application to use different audio
devices for stereo ('pulse') and passthrough ('iec985').

If anyone asks - why do I do that? - simple - pulse's Bluez and
networking support.

Cheers
--
Michał Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>