[pulseaudio-discuss] Example using async API

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 5 15:53:04 PDT 2009

On Tue, 06.10.09 06:49, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 00:37 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > If you are a user then you should use tha PA version that is shipped
> > with your distro. If you want a newer version, then upgrade your
> > distro. If you are a developer who writes third party apps then you
> > should stick to a released distro, too. But of course you should
> > really make sure to run the latest one.
>
> Sorry to interrupt, but it seems to me developers have the
> (unfortunate?) necessity of their software working with the latest
> 'stable' version of a distro, which would necessitate (especially in
> extreme cases like debian) that they use a kernel, udev, and thus pulse
> many versions behind?

What do you expect? You cannot have it both ways: have the newest code
and have it totally stable. That is impossible.

And that Debian is an extreme case is certainly true. But take that
criticism to the Debian developers.

It is not particularly surprising that most developers work on other
distros that have a much faster development cycle than Debian, or if
the do choose Debian then they stick to the 'testing' or even
'unstable' distribution. Using Debian 'stable' for developing appears
very unwordly to me.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net