[pulseaudio-discuss] Example using async API

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Oct 5 15:59:57 PDT 2009

On 10/06/2009 09:49 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 00:37 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> If you are a user then you should use tha PA version that is shipped
>> with your distro. If you want a newer version, then upgrade your
>> distro. If you are a developer who writes third party apps then you
>> should stick to a released distro, too. But of course you should
>> really make sure to run the latest one.
>>
> Sorry to interrupt, but it seems to me developers have the
> (unfortunate?) necessity of their software working with the latest
> 'stable' version of a distro, which would necessitate (especially in
> extreme cases like debian) that they use a kernel, udev, and thus pulse
> many versions behind?

There is also the murky middle area. Testers, advanced users and
developers who would like to have an fully integrated system and are
prepared to wrangle with yum and overwrite /usr/lib64 as it often is
easier to work with than building into /usr/local which creates a whole
new set of problems to overcome.

Uninstalling PA from the packaging system completely can lead to a heap
of manual installation and env var tweaking of the required deps when
installing into /usr/local.

So while you are correct that best practice is to install in /usr/local
it is also necessary in some cases to be able to build and install over
existing packages to get the fastest return on time invested in
corralling the system to a workable state. it also solves the hassle of
occasionally getting double ups when continuing to use the packaging
system that bring in dep updates you have forgotten about when doing
manual installs. Therefore preventing the ensuing headaches.

Alternatively there could be a more explicit set of steps provided for
running PA from the build dir recommended specifically for
devs/interested parties to work with...

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd