[pulseaudio-discuss] redirecting audio from SAA7134 tv card

Luca DELLA GHEZZA luca_dgh at hotmail.it
Mon Oct 5 16:02:00 PDT 2009

On lun, 2009-10-05 at 23:08 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 02.10.09 15:09, Luca DELLA GHEZZA (luca_dgh at hotmail.it) wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > If the internal sound card is the card from which you want to hear the
> > > tv card, then it's the right one. As Lennart said, you can actually use
> > > pavucontrol to move the loopback stream wherever you want to.
> >
> > I didn't understand how to do this, but this has a minor importance, I
> > definitevely want that the tv audio goes trough the standard output,
> > just that.
>
> With a recent version of pavucontrol you can just use the menu on the
> loopback steram and move it to another device, during runtime. It's
> really not that hard.

I have Pavucontrol 0.9.8+git20090701 (from ubuntu repositories), but
there I don't find the loopback stream menu. Probably is not new enough.

> > > where CARD is the tv card name given by alsa. It can be found
> > > in /proc/asound/cards. For example, I have this in
> > > my /proc/asound/cards:
> > >
> > >  0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
> > >                       HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 16
> > >
> > > The stuff in the square brackets is the card name, so in my case I have
> > > a sound card with name "SB".
> > >

> > well, just to try everything I tried this solutions too, I added the
> > line to the file /etc/pulse/default.pa, in this moment I can't reboot
> > the system so I used sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudo force_reload.
> > But nothing has changed.
>
> PA is not a system service (unless configured in a non-recommended
> way). If your distribution configures it as such, ask them to stop
> that crack.
>
> PA when run as user service (which is recommend) canbe restarted by
> issuing 'pulseaudio -k' and then restarting it via
> 'start-pulseaudio-x11'.

I understand what you mean, no in Ubuntu Pulseaudio is not a system
service, is a user service, that is the answer I received trying
pulseaudio restart in that way, but just now I understand what does it
mean.

Anyway, I understand well that there is no solution to my problem?
In other words: SAA7134-alsa module is too much crappy so is I want to
watch and listen tv I have to find out a tv card with another chip?
If yes, which one?
Thx so much for your patience.