[pulseaudio-discuss] "passthrough" audio (eg. AC3 / DTS / WM9)

Dave Moore davewantsmoore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:40:59 PDT 2009

Wow.  Thanks for the replies everyone.  I didn't know what to expect.

I completely understand why PA doesn't work (well?!) with pass-through....
so my question is now.

If I am to keep PA installed and configured (it's now part of my Linux
distro and would like to keep things as "vanilla" as possible)..... what
steps can I take to have PA pass unaltered data through to my digital out ?

(I understand I will not have sound mixing, or multiple applications able to
use the card at once ->  basically I would lose all the benefits of PA.....
but in order to stick with what my distro offers, but also to get what I
need (encoded formats passed unaltered to digital out)..... what can I do?)

Many thanks.