[pulseaudio-discuss] Desperation with idling

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 15 19:57:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, 13.10.09 10:58, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:

> Ok, I will try to be more explicit.
>
> I am trying to grab the sound of some applications using the parec tool. I
> want to have independent audio sinks, one for each application, task that I
> have accomplished creating different null-sinks, redirecting the audio
> streams of that applications to that sinks, and finally, specifying the
> corresponding monitors when using parec.
>
> The problem comes from the fact that when the application I want to grab the
> sound from has no sound - I am testing it with firefox and a website with no
> sound -, and the sink is one of those I have just created. In these
> conditions, when executing parec, the program states blocked waiting for an
> audio stream - and despite having the module suspend-on-idle disabled -. If
> the application has sound - firefox with a website with sound -, everything
> works fine!!!!

Hmm, a sink to which monitor source you connect will hand you audio as
long as it is not suspended. module-suspend-on-idle will autosuspend
things for you after 2s. So, consider disabling that.

You can use "pacmd ls" to verify the current state of a sink. As long
as it is not marked as "SUSPENDED" you should get audio, and if there
is nothing playing you should get silence, but you really should get it.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net