[pulseaudio-discuss] /.

remrot at gmail.com remrot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 02:43:10 PDT 2009

2009/10/21 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>

> > Although I suffered from
> > some of it's bugs, I think PA has great potential and I also like (and
> want)
> > it's features!
>
> Great potential means that it should be developed, not that it should
> be the default for end users. That is the problem with Pulse Audio. It
> was also the problem with KDE 4.0, which also had great potential.

That's exactly what happens currently: PA gets developed and stabilized!
But, as I already wrote in the last mail, stabilizing PA is something that
cannot be achieved in some private basement. It is by far too complex and it
needs a phase where it is thoroughly tested by a great number of users to
finally become the application that we (me at least) hope for. With one
full-time developer and few contributers there is simply no other way to
manage that task. If you really can't live with PA, there are a lot of
alternative distributions (even Ubuntu flavours) that are not using it. That
way, you can avoid it until the day it is stable enough for you. The same
thing was true for KDE 4.0, it was very easy to avoid it since it hasn't
been the default DE in any distribution I know of. Nonetheless, there was
this mega-rant that did not help anybody and spread a lot of hostility...

Honestly, I can't understand how people can invest so much energy in useless
rants. Imho, if you have a problem with FOSS applications, and you can't or
don't want to code, there are always 3 reasonable actions you can take:

1. Report bugs, ask for help, request features, talk to the devs about
anything you like or dislike BUT do that in a friendly, constructive way! By
doing that, you'll help many users worldwide!

2. If that does not work for you, search for an alternative application and
see if it fits your needs. There are alternatives for almost everything in
linux, imho there are too many of them in some areas (including audio) and
you are free to use wichever you like.

3. If you cannot find anything that fits your needs, take a look into the
world of commercial software. Not everything you have to pay for is bad ;)

Whichever action you choose, it will be better than starting the next flame
war! Nobody needs them, nobody wants them! Except for trolls...

Regards

JK