[pulseaudio-discuss] Interaction between applications and Pavucontrol

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 26 20:39:54 PDT 2009

On Mon, 26.10.09 19:14, Alexandre Savard (alexandre.savard at savoirfairelinux.com) wrote:

> We recently discovered that Pulseaudio works fine for our application on
> Ubuntu Karmic if and only if Pavucontrol apps is opened. As soon as
> Pavucontrol is closed
> Buffer Underruns are back and sound is of very low quality. Is this
> happenning because the Peaks resampler is used when Pavucontrol is
> opened?

Unlikely. The Peaks resampler is a fake resampler that is used only
for showing the volume meter in pavucontrol.

Hmm, the effect of running pavucontrol is basically that the latency
of the device is lowered, i.e. the same effect that setting tlength to
a smaller value with the ADJUST_LATENCY flag set.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net