[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Leszek Koltunski leszek at koltunski.pl
Thu Oct 29 01:36:20 PDT 2009

> Look at pulseaudio.desktop and start-pulseaudio-x11. These do exactly that
> just now.
>
> The script would need modified for this use case (as it registers X session
> handler too, not just the publication) but in theory, just running
> start-pulseaudio-x11 on each display should get you the necessary gubbins
> loaded (albeit one of session modules will fail to load, but you can
> probably just ignore that - the error is suppressed anyway).

Hmm.. in that case my patch does not finish the job - potential users still
have to modify the /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 binary in order to load the
modules the right way.

Couldn't we have something like '/etc/pulse/x11.conf' which would be read by
/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 ? I could cook something like that together,
but would that be accepted? Comments?