[pulseaudio-discuss] setting a volume on a short lived stream

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 29 18:11:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, 29.10.09 15:43, Jeremy Nickurak (jeremy at nickurak.ca) wrote:

> That does rely on applications behaving well.
>
> What about a short-lived alsa audio program? There should be a way to
> apply a match to these too... maybe a history of streams? Or simply a
> minimum time that streams live in pavumeter before it disappears?

This is admittedly a problem, but I kinda hope that it will fix
itself by applications tagging event sounds properly. Even for legacy
applications you can do that with minimal work most of the time:

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/ApplicationProperties

I certainly would make sense to allow volume changes shortly after a
stream died. The low-level technology in PA allows that, it's just that
g-v-c and pavucontrol currently do not make use of this.

But then again, I am wondering if the time you need to fix
g-v-c/pavucontrol this way wouldn't be better spend in fixing the
applcitions in question to tag their streams properly. I think
generally only event sounds are short-lived anyway (at least  noone
was ever able to give me a convincing counter-example).

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net